New Application Process
Part I - CCW Application Submission (2 to 4 weeks)
- Fill out the CCW Permit Application (PDF) in its entirety. Sign all pages that need signing and fill in all of section 7. The CCW Application must be filled out in its entirety, or it will be rejected.
- Obtain all documents required to accompany the application:
- A copy of your California Driver's License
- A copy of your birth certificate
- A copy of your Social Security card
- Any CCW permits from other states or counties
- A copy of any records associated with an arrest or detention (during your lifetime)
- A copy of a utility bill or any other service billed to your Lake County physical street address
- A copy of your DD214 Military Service record (Honorable Discharge Only), if applicable
- A passport size 2 inch by 2 inch standard color photo for the file
- Department of Motor Vehicles printout
- Return the completed application, required documents, and 2 inch by 2 inch standard color photo to the Sheriff's Office in Lakeport at 1220 Martin Street, or mail to:
P.O. Box 489
Lakeport CA 95453
- Please be sure to include your email address when turning in your application for ease of communication.
Once the Sheriff's Office has reviewed and accepted your application, you will proceed to "Part II" of the CCW application process.
Part II - Live Scan & Interview (4 to 6 weeks)
- At the completion of the required local and county background checks, you will be mailed instructions for securing your Live Scan (fingerprints)
- Make an appointment with the Alternative Work Program (AWP) Building to have your fingerprints taken. At this time, you will pay all associated fees (see Permit Fees)
- Once the results of your fingerprint submission have been returned to the Sheriff's Office by the DOJ and FBI, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with the CCW Sergeant
- Once you have completed the interview process and the Sheriff has approved your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit, you will proceed to "Part III" of the CCW application process
Once you have completed the interview process and the Sheriff has approved your application for a Concealed Weapons Permit, you will proceed to "Part III" of the application process.
Part III - Basic Firearms Safety (BFS) Course
- Schedule the Basic Firearms Safety (BFS) Course. You will be notified in writing when the 16-hour BFS course will be offered by the Sheriff's Office
- Complete and return all forms and associated fees to the Lake County Sheriff's Office prior to attending the course
- Complete the BFS Course. If you complete a 16-hour BFS Course that was not given by the Lake County Sheriff's Office, you will still need to qualify your weapon(s) at the Lake County Sheriff's range
- Note: You must complete the Lake County Sheriff's BFS Course unless:
- You have successfully completed a California Basic Peace Officer Academy, and can supply a copy of your certificate
- You have successfully completed a PC 832/Firearms course and can supply a copy of your certificate
- You have successfully completed a California DOJ certified 16-hour BFS Course that has been approved by the Lake County Sheriff's Office
Part IV - Pick Up Your CCW Permit
Upon successful completion of the 16-hour Basic Firearms Safety Course and qualification with your weapon at the Lake County Sheriff's range, you will be contacted when your permit is ready.
Your CCW permit will be valid for a term of 2 years (unless you are issued a Judicial or Custodial CCW.)
You will be notified in writing by the Lake County Sheriff's Office when your permit is up for renewal, and provided renewal course information.